Monday 9 March 2009

From sun to murk!

Today's weather was grey & snowing with variable visibility. The beginners made good progress anyway and learned to use a Poma.

My group stayed on the Viking and Gentiane but Charlotte then decided we should ski down the terraces where the tennis courts are. Well the first time, going straight in a plough it was ok, but when it came to doing it with parallel skis on the diagonal with a large bumpy bit of snow part
way ...........!!

Yes I proved that Charlotte was dead right about if you look at something you'll ski towards it - that large lump of snow that I wanted to avoid and focused my attention on became my destination and I did the most spectacular face plant. Oops!! At least I know know my bindings release as supposed to! I wasn't at all hurt and then managed to do 2 more trips down the terraces just fine. It is disappointing when you turn back and look at something you found hard as it seems much smaller looking up - but of course the difference comes from your eyes being a further 5+ feet off the ground than your skis! This really was a lesson in confidence.

After a brief sandwich we went back out for another hour of practice during which I found out one of the party, Caroline went to the same school as me and we were just 2 years apart. We are both in this photo! What a small world it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment